President Rodrigo Duterte’s State of the Nation Address (SONA) has been considered the longest SONA in history. In his speech, he reiterated his campaign promises, his instructions to government officials and declared a unilateral ceasefire with the Communist Party of the Philippines.
Here are some of the most striking lines from Duterte’s first SONA:
1. “Courage knows no limit, cowardice does."
2. “Sorrow cuts across every stratum of society. It cuts deeply and the pain lasts forever.”
3. “Abuse your authority and there will be hell to pay. For you will have become worse than criminality itself.”
4. “Let us be clear to each other. I am for the comfort and welfare of the people."
5. “…while I am stickler for the priniciple of separation between church and state, I believe quite strongly that
there should never be a separation between God and the State."
6. “Let me make this appeal to you, 'If we cannot, as yet, love one another, then in God’s name, let us not hate
each other too much,' so it was said. I say the same to you today.
7. “Finger-pointing is not the way. That is why I will not waste precious time dwelling on the sins of the past
or blaming those who are perceived to be responsible for the mess that we are in and suffering from.”
8. "This will be a clean government."
Which of Duterte's quotable quotes is your favorite? Comment below!